The holidays are a great time to be with family. In all the excitement it can be difficult for those in the group who have hearing loss. When you start wondering why Grandma or Uncle Joe aren’t taking part in conversation or if you see them retreating from crowded situations, check out these handy tips to help them get back in the game.
- Face the person and speak clearly.
- Speak at a reasonable speed; do not hide your mouth, eat, or chew gum.
- Repeat yourself if necessary, using different words.
- Find a quiet place to talk to help reduce background noise, especially in restaurants and social gatherings.
- Stand in good lighting and use facial expressions or gestures to give clues.
- Be patient. Stay positive and relaxed.
Take on the roll of educating others on the best way to speak to those with hearing loss and make this a very happy holiday for everyone!
If we can help someone you love, please give us a call at one of our convenient Central Texas locations.